How Much Chocolate Will Make A Big Dog Sick?

Rate this post
A good principle of finger : For a 50-pound chase, an ounce of baker’s chocolate is toxic, while nine ounces of milk chocolate is toxic .
I ’ m a chocolate fan .
I love all varieties of it and I even like my dogs the color of chocolate .
The one thing that I don ’ t like about chocolate is coming home from running errands and finding a 1/2 feed Ziplock cup of tea that once contained several mini chocolate bars, Smarties and a Tootsie Roll Pop empty and laying in the middle floor.

Ugh .
It ’ sulfur enough to make my center drop and my stomach somersault .
now don ’ triiodothyronine be mistaken, we have lived with Leroy for over 11 years so we are constantly extremely careful about not leaving anything comestible or dangerous out in Newfie territory .
Everyone in my theater has been trained not to leave their plates, food, snacks, and sugarcoat out .
even family and friends know the rules .
But accidents happen and that ’ s what it was .
person left a bag of candy sitting on the window sill and some Newfie found it .

however, the Newfie that found it wasn ’ t Leroy, it was Odin .
thankfully, we had two Ziplock bags containing the lapp candy, one which was stored somewhere safe so I was able to verify what was in the bag .
nothing in the sugarcoat bag was toxic and the cocoa candy bars were all milk chocolate and of the mini size thus even though Odin ate 4 of them, due to his large size they weren ’ t an issue .
What was more of a concern for me was the bottom half of the Ziplock bag that was missing .

I didn ’ t have to worry about the stick to the Tootsie Roll Pop because Odin graciously left that behind .
He must have been excessively busy counting how many licks it took to get to the Tootsie Roll .
He did pass the bulge 2 days after he ate it along with some colorful wrappers and all of the Smartie wrappers and I ’ ll spare part you the pictures that I took .
Anyhow, I know how chilling it can be when a dog corrode chocolate therefore I wanted to share a few things to keep in take care if you always find yourself in the lapp situation as me .

Why is chocolate toxic to dogs? 

The chemical perniciousness for dogs is due to the ingredient Theobromine .
Humans can easily metabolize theobromine, but dogs metabolize it much slower which allows it to build up to toxic levels in their system .
caffeine is besides deliver in chocolate and dogs can not process it the same manner as humans .

The darker the chocolate the more toxic it is no matter what size the dog is

Different types of chocolate can be more toxic .
Cocoa gunpowder, baker ’ second chocolate and dark cocoa contain the highest levels of Theobromine.

The high level of theobromine in dark chocolate means it takes alone a very small total to poison a cad .
milk chocolate and white chocolate have the lowest levels of Theobromine .
According to VIN, Milk chocolate contains 44 mg/ounce of theobromine while bittersweet chocolate contains 150 magnesium per ounce, and baking chocolate contains 390 mg per ounce .
White chocolate has virtually no theobromine and is lone a problem because of its fat capacity

Signs Of Chocolate Poisoning In Dogs

Symptoms of cocoa poison in dogs will vary based on the size of the frump .
A small amount of chocolate will probably lone give a modest pawl an upset abdomen with vomiting or diarrhea .
large dogs such as the Newfoundland may not show any signs of distress after eating minor amounts of milk chocolate or white chocolate .
When a dog eats large amounts of a chocolate product that contains high levels of theobromine a frump may experience muscle tremors, seizures, an irregular heartbeat, home run or tied a heart attack .
According to Merck Veterinary Manual, signs of chocolate poisoning normally appear within 6 to 12 hours after your frank has eaten it and it can take up to 4 days for the effects of chocolate to work its way out of the dog ’ s system .
due to the high-fat content, chocolate can besides cause pancreatitis in some dogs .

How Much Chocolate Is Toxic To Big Dogs

even though I was reasonably sure that Odin didn ’ thyroxine eat enough cocoa to make him sick I even wanted to double-check .

I found this Toxic Chocolate Toxicity Calculator that is recommended by VIN.

It obviously doesn ’ metric ton replace veterinary advice but it ’ sulfur nice to have if your frank has eaten chocolate so that you know what steps should be taken immediately if any .

What about Carob for dogs?

sometimes you ’ ll see dog treats with what looks like carob in or on them .
This is, in most cases, not chocolate but carob .
Carob is made from the bean pods of the carob tree and does not contain theobromine so it is not toxic to dogs or cats .
It is 100 % natural and healthy for dogs when given in temperance .

The Point On Chocolate Toxicity In Big Dogs

A Newfie that eats one chocolate check cookie will most likely be all right .
Eating very small amounts of milk chocolate or chocolate-flavored treats will not harm most big dogs, but it ’ s not worth it to take the risk .
many factors, including the size of a pawl, breed, health status and of course the type and sum of cocoa ingested, determine how a particular frump will respond to chocolate consumption .
It ’ randomness besides best exercise to make indisputable that chocolate is stored out of a pawl ’ s reach at all times .
And……….. if you ’ rhenium giving chocolate as a gift around the holidays to a dog owner, make sure to let the recipient role know so that they can keep it out of their cad ’ s reach .
p.s. Don ’ t mistake this as me saying that I don ’ t want cocoa as a giving. I can never have enough cocoa.

Read more: Rottweiler

Disclosure. I am not a veterinarian and information in this article does not substitute for veterinarian care. 
Sharing is caring !

informant : https://blog.naivepets.com
Category : Dog

Leave a Comment