She rushed him to the emergency vet. He was panting and anxious and his back legs gave out. His temperature rose to 106.5 degrees F. After a promptly blood test, the veterinarian on duty said Cooper had ingested THC, possibly from an edible. “ The veteran told me that they see four to five dogs a day [ who have ingested pot ], ” Tomac says. In fact, according to Tina Wismer, DVM, elder director ASPCA ‘s Animal Poison Control Center ( APCC ), “ [ we ] saw a 173 percentage increase in case volume related to marijuana consumption since 2017. ” As more states legalize medical or recreational manipulation of cannabis, it ‘s likely the count of cases will continue to rise. ( There are 17 states that allow medical and amateur manipulation and 36 states allow it for medical use. ) So how can you protect your pooch from pot ?
What Happens If a Dog Eats Marijuana?
Cannabis sativa, known to most of us as marijuana, contains compounds called cannabinoids, which bind to receptors in a human’s—or canine’s—body. There are at least 113 different cannabinoids. THC ( Tetrahydrocannabinol ) is the cannabinoid known for its mind-altering properties. It is different from CBD ( cannabidiol ), another cannabinoid, which has heal properties but does n’t make a exploiter high. If your frump eats weed, the first thing you might notice is an uncoordinated gait, as Tomac did with Cooper. “ THC gets into their organization reasonably promptly. You ‘ll see signs in less than an hour. It impacts the central nervous system and causes a discipline called static ataxia, ” says Andy Fleming, DVM, founding extremity of the Veterinary Cannabis Society. That means that your dog may be standing still ( electrostatic ) yet wobbling and falling ( ataxia ). early effects include hyperactivity, disorientation, bark, dilated pupils ( a quixotic look ), and excessive vomit or drivel. “ There might besides be depression, seizures, coma, and, potentially, death, ” Fleming says .
husky dog looking at marijuana leaf
citation : Svetlana Sarapultseva / Getty
Marijuana Toxicity in Dogs
Although, as Fleming says, there is the “ potential for death, ” rarely is marijuana consumption fateful, and the english effects do n’t last excessively long. But keep in judgment, your pet does n’t understand what ‘s happening to them. They ‘re not interest in lying on the sofa and listening to bootleg Phish concert tapes ; they are likely frighten and confuse. Your frank ‘s temperature will probably be elevated. A normal andiron temperature is anywhere from 99.5 to 102.5 degrees F. Cooper ‘s fever climbed to 106.5 degrees F, and according to Fleming, a temp that high has potential to cause brain damage in a pawl. And it ‘s not equitable fresh cannabis that may have this effect on your pet. Dogs are pretty indiscriminate when it comes to food. The trash cheesecloth you used to strain cannabutter, the side-of-the-road roaches, or the gluey or chocolate edibles strewn on the coffee bean table all seem like delightful snacks to the unrefined snout. In addition, edibles may contain xylitol, an artificial sweetening, which is toxic to canines, as is chocolate. APCC most much gets calls about “ a pet eating a marijuana-laced broil good or plant material, ” Wismer says. “ Edibles and any early digest forms of cannabis, such as celluloid cannabis, cannabis wax, and oil are more dangerous than the plant corporeal. The more THC a pet ingests, the more severe the signs generally are, so it takes a smaller come of concentrated fabric, like edibles, to cause an exit than it would with implant material. ”
What to Do If Your Dog Ingests Marijuana Products
The short answer is : Get your andiron to the veterinarian immediately. here ‘s how your puppy will likely be treated for cannabis toxicity. decontamination is the first base thing. The vet may use trip charcoal to adsorb the drug in the gastrointestinal tract to allow it to pass through harmlessly, Fleming says. If the cannabis is on your dog ‘s body, the veteran will clean it off. then, the vet will get at the symptoms, treating the neurological effects with drugs and tranquilizers to reduce possible seizures.
With Cooper ‘s eminent temp, the doctors cooled him down, sedated him, and he spent the night at the hand brake vet ‘s function. Tomac was able to bring Cooper home the postdate morning, and after a few days he was back to his old self. “ But it was atrocious, ” Tomac says. “ I did n’t sleep. The kids were crying. It was chilling, and I was n’t sure which manner it was going to go. ”
Preventing Future Accidents
Tomac does not have any marijuana products in her home, and Cooper was on a rope the entire time of his fatal walk. Things happen, but here are some tips to help you avoid a problem .
- Be mindful. It should go without saying that you should keep your eyes open when you’re outside, but free-range romps can be too fun to pass up. Practice a “leave it” or “drop it” cue to get your dog to either not grab up something foreign or to spit out whatever they’ve picked up.
- Store your stash. You wouldn’t leave open wine bottles lying around within easy reach. Keep edibles and your weed stash in child-proof containers on high shelves.
- Educate everyone. Make sure all family members know the symptoms of cannabis ingestion and know the vet’s number in case of emergency.